Thursday, March 5, 2009

Stars - Rachel

As of right now, I have exactly two classes, and two assignments due before spring break. Knowing that is a wonderful feeling, especially since I'll have plenty of time to finish them this afternoon during the time I normally have choir.

I just realized, I have to pack too. Oh dear.

Last night was the first night in astronomy where the skies were clear enough to observe. When we were finally out observing I remembered why I was taking astronomy in the first place. It's unbelievably cool to look at the surface of the moon, or at a cluster of forming stars. We got the chance to look at a "trapezium" of stars inside of a gas cloud. You can't help but marvel looking at these beautiful creations, minuscule and unimportant from our standpoint yet remarkable in their power and distance away from us. I was even getting into trying to identify as many constellations as I can. Quick astronomy fact for the day: the bottom right star in Orion is called Rigel and the one on the top left is Betelguese (pronounced beetlejuice actually). Although I'm pretty sure Orion isn't a constellation you can see in Australia.

1 comment: